Armadillos are fascinating creatures with distinct appearances and behaviors. While they may be intriguing to watch from a distance, they may become a major nuisance if they invade your property. Armadillos are well-known for digging up lawns and gardens in pursuit of insects, grub, and other small critters. Their burrowing tendencies can wreak havoc on the structural integrity of buildings, walkways, and gardens. It’s essential to learn how to remove armadillos effectively and ethically if you want to keep the integrity of your property and protect the beauty of your yard. Learn armadillo deterrence and removal methods with these helpful hints.
The most compassionate and practical strategy is to keep armadillos out of your yard. Here are some precautions to take:
- Fencing: To discourage armadillos from digging, install an underground barrier constructed of mesh or chicken wire along the perimeter of your property.
- Grub Control: Use grub control products in your lawn and garden to reduce the armadillo’s primary food supply.
- Remove Attractants: Keep potential food sources, such as compost piles and open garbage cans, off your property.
- Watering: Armadillos enjoy damp soil, so refrain from overwatering your lawn or garden.
Humane Trapping and Relocation
If you already have armadillos on your property, try humane trapping and relocation methods. Here’s how to accomplish it:
- Purchase a live trap intended for armadillos.
- Use an appropriate lure, such as mealworms, overripe fruit, or earthworms, to bait the trap.
- Position the trap near the burrow entrance or along their typical path.
- Check the trap on a daily basis, and if the armadillo is caught, relocate it at least five miles away from your property to ensure it does not return.
- Always check local and state laws and regulations regarding wildlife control. Some areas may require permits for trapping and relocating armadillos.
If your armadillo problem continues despite your best efforts, seek help from a professional. Professionals who deal with wildlife control have knowledge in wildlife removal and are able to provide solutions that are effective. Armadillos can be discouraged from lingering on your property through the use of exclusion strategies, such as the installation of one-way doors or eviction solutions.
When you have armadillos on your property, it can be frustrating to deal with them. However, if you have the right information and skills, you can remove or discourage them from coming back while causing a minimal amount of harm to these fascinating critters. Keep in mind that preventing an issue from occurring in the first place is the best course of action, so take steps to make your property less desirable to armadillos. If you absolutely must remove them, employ methods that are kind to the wildlife. Seek the advice of experts so that the task is accomplished in a way that is both legal and safe. If you adhere to these suggestions, you will be able to maintain the integrity of your property while also gaining an appreciation for the natural environment around you.
Are you in need of armadillo removal? Our friendly operators at Dallas Fort Worth Wildlife Control are available now at (817) 606-7607. Find out more about our wildlife removal in Arlington and Fort Worth, TX.