Your home is your sanctuary, and you want to keep it safe and secure. However, there are some threats that you may not even be aware of. One of these threats is roof rats and squirrels. These little critters may seem harmless, but they can cause serious damage to your home, including starting fires.
How They Can Cause Attic Fires
Roof rats and squirrels are known for their love of chewing. Unfortunately, they don’t discriminate when it comes to what they chew on. That means that they’ll happily chew on anything they can get their teeth on, including electrical wires.
When roof rats and squirrels chew on electrical wires, they can expose the wires’ interior metal components. This can create a short circuit, which can lead to an electrical fire. Electrical fires are particularly dangerous because they can start and spread quickly, often before you even know they’re happening.
In addition to the risk of fires, they can also cause other types of damage to your home. They may chew through insulation, wood, and other materials, which can weaken the structure of your home. They may also leave behind droppings and urine, which can create an unpleasant odor and attract other pests.
How to Protect Your Home from Wildlife
The best way to protect your home from these wildlife is to prevent them from getting inside in the first place. Here are some tips to help you do that:
1. Seal up any potential entry points. Roof rats and squirrels can squeeze through surprisingly small openings, so it’s important to seal up any holes or gaps in your home’s exterior. Pay particular attention to areas where utilities enter your home, such as vents, pipes, and electrical wires.
2. Keep trees trimmed away from your home. Roof rats and squirrels are excellent climbers and can easily jump from trees onto your roof. By keeping trees trimmed back, you can reduce the likelihood of them gaining access to your home.
3. Store food securely. These rodents are attracted to food, so it’s important to store any food items securely. This includes pet food, birdseed, and any other food items that may be stored in your attic or garage.
If you suspect that you already have roof rats or squirrels in your home, it’s important to take action as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the more damage they can cause. Here’s what you should do:
1. Inspect your home for signs. This includes looking for chew marks on wires and other materials, as well as droppings and urine stains.
2. Set traps. There are a variety of humane traps available that can help you catch roof rats and squirrels. Make sure to check the traps regularly and release any animals you catch far away from your home.
3. Call in the professionals. If you’re not comfortable setting traps or if you have a large infestation, it’s best to call in the professionals. Dallas Fort Worth Wildlife Control is a company that specializes in safely and humanely trapping, removing, and relocating roof rats and squirrels.
Are you in need of rat or squirrel removal? Our friendly operators at Dallas Fort Worth Wildlife Control are available now at (817) 606-7607. Find out more about our wildlife removal in Arlington and Fort Worth, TX.